The Red Lion premises have been situated in the heart of the village Mawnan Smith since 1500.
It originally consisted of 3 separate cottages and a courtyard, which developed into a pub/inn in 1695. The Red Lion used to offer a "supper and bed" service. Being situated near to the Helford river, the pub became a regular resting point for passing tradesmen and long distance travelers.
During the Second World War, the villages around the Helford river housed many of the soldiers waiting to start their journey on D-Day. The Red Lion stood proudly among the hive of activity during this time.
Now, this lovely thatched roof pub, serves as a local community point for the village, providing a large variety of beverages and hot meals. It is very popular with walkers in the summer months due to its location near the coastal paths and in the winter is warm and cosy with a traditional log fire.